1.1 million tonnes of food is thrown away by the Hospitality and Food Service industry every year.
For every gram of food that ends up in the bin there is an environmental cost. The production of every pea, potato and slice of bread releases CO2 into the atmosphere, and that problem is only made worse when that food ends up in the bin. In fact, if food waste were a country, it would be the third largest emitter of greenhouse gases after China and the US.
You can help by taking a stand against wasted food to help your business, the environment and your community.
Use the Guardians of Grub Cost Saving Calculator to help you calculate how much money you could save if you stopped wasting food.
Consider using one of the food sharing apps to reduce waste such as Too Good to Go. For unavoidable food waste, ask you waste provider about separate food collections as a more sustainable option – Cardiff Council offers this as a service.
Check out the resources below, and take a look at these case studies for further inspiration.
- Speciality Food – Five Step Food Waste Audit (opens new window)
- Guardians of Grub – Cost Calculator (opens new window)
- Guardians of Grub – Resources (opens new window)
- Sustainable Restaurant Association – Food Waste (opens new window)
- Wrap – Penylan Pantry case study (opens new window)
- Wrap – Eliminating Food Waste Case Study (opens new window)