We are excited to officially launch our Cardiff Veg City campaign in partnership with organisations across the city.
Eating more veg has a positive effect on our health, happiness and on the environment, but 80% of us don’t eat enough.
Cardiff Veg City is city-wide campaign to promote vegetable consumption. The campaign is about driving up veg consumption by changing things on a local level – promoting veg, growing veg, getting more veg into school meals, reducing the amount of veg that is wasted, and so much more.
We are calling on restaurants, retailers, workplaces, schools, growers and restaurants to make a veg pledge. Pledges so far include:
- Cardiff Council are offering an extra portion of veg free of charge in all school meals.
- The Healthy Schools team have produced a Power Up Your Pupils with Veg resource pack for teachers and a Peas Please Parent Pack, to engage primary school children with veg.
- Cardiff Metropolitan University catering have pledged that all meals will include 2 portions of veg and are offering how to cook veg on a budget courses for students and staff.
- Wild Thing Café are promoting veg and are planning a free community supper made from surplus allotment veg.
- Cardiff & Vale University Hospital Board have set up a veg stall at University Hospital Wales and are incorporating more veg in Y Gegin restaurant.
We also created a handy toolkit of ideas and resources to support workplaces to make a veg pledge. Eating veg can have a triple win: increased staff engagement, cost savings and brand reputation.
Actions could be as simple as having a bring and share lunch, including a veg of the month in your newsletter or growing some windowsill herbs.
For all types of organisations, if you are ready to pledge:
- Register or login
- Click ‘Actions’
- Click ‘Tell Me More’ on the action you want to pledge – this will give you more information and resources
- Register your pledge by clicking ‘Let’s Do It’ – this will also enable you to add more details about your pledge
Alternatively, you can contact us and we can help you register.